Students applying for admission to the Davidson Honors College should show clear evidence of academic talent and motivation. The DHC accepts incoming freshman, transfer, and current students. Generally, a minimum high school GPA of 3.5 is expected, as well as an ACT composite score of 27, or SAT combined score of 1800 or higher. These criteria are not absolute, nor are they a guarantee of admission, since it is a holistic evaluation process. Highly motivated students are encouraged to apply.
Students who apply to the Davidson Honors College before December 4 will be considered for a Presidential Leadership Scholarship. Frequently Asked Questions about the Presidential Leadership Scholarship.
Deadline: Applications completed by December 4 will be considered for the Presidential Leadership Scholarship. After that date, DHC applicants will be considered for admission to the Davidson Honors College on a rolling basis throughout the spring semester.
You will need to provide the following information on the DHC Application Form:
- Biographical information
- Academic information
- Academic honors and extra-curricular activities
- An essay of 600-1,000 words (double-spaced) on one of the following topics:
- Topic 1: Describe an event in your life, a person, a book or an experience (choose one) that has had a profound effect on you and influenced change in you, your attitudes, your goals OR
- Topic 2: Identify and describe a characteristic of leadership that you find to be particularly interesting, troubling, controversial or otherwise worthy of further study, and discuss why this characteristic strikes you this way.
- A brief statement about your academic career plans. What major(s) or academic area(s) of interest do you plan to pursue at the University of Montana? What interests you about that field of study? What are your future career goals and other professional aspirations? Limit your statement to 300 words, maximum.
Your application must be accompanied by the following materials. Mail these materials in a single envelope to the Davidson Honors College:
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher speaking to your academic and personal qualities. This letter should be obtained from referrer in a sealed envelope. Only one letter will be considered during the review of your application. Current UM students and transfer students must submit a letter of recommendation from a college professor.
- An unofficial transcript of your high school record through the junior year, including your cumulative GPA, rank in class and ACT or SAT results. Current UM students and transfer students should also attach an unofficial transcript of your completed college work.
Your transcript(s) and letter of recommendation must be mailed to:
Davidson Honors College
University of Montana
32 Campus Dr.
Missoula, MT 59812.